5. Courtney Barnett "Avant Gardener"
If you're a girl, this song should just make you want to punch people in the face out of a strange mixture of awesomeness and frustration. And I would encourage all of the kids at IST to embrace that type of energy. This song has inhalers, paramedics, hypochondria, and a chorus that says this: "I'm not that good at breathing in.". And really, who is? (I mean, except when you are ready to destroy an IA. Sigh.)
4. Ashley Monroe (w/Blake Shelton) "You Ain't Dolly"
As usual, country music had a very strong crop of female country singers come out and lay down examples of what this type of music really means. "Like a Rose" is the best country album of the year. Every song is an example of the poignancy and craftsmanship that goes into writing tunes that will weather the the test of time, much less the fathoms of water that lies between the cultures of this world. Because sometimes all you need for validation is for someone to start line dancing in China to your song.
And how awesome is that?
3. Lorde "Royals"
Thank you mother of the girl who calls her self Lorde. You did something right. Not only did your 16-year old (??????) daughter put out one of the best singles of 2013, her album was also one of the best. A teen-ager who can make something that actually resonates with what it means to be a teen? I don't know. We might have to wait for that. Until, then "Royals" will have to do the ass-kicking. And if you can write a song that can be parodied in a way that makes both the parody and the original two sides of one coin? Well done.
2. Daft Punk "Get Loschi"
Oh, Daft Punk. I remember hearing Blind Melon fifteen years before their first single "Never Heard It From a Blind Man" came out. And "Get Lucky" reminded me of that. For about 37 hours I played this song, and everyone was, like, "THIS IS MANNA FROM HEAVEN OH MY GOD PLEASE PINCH ME BECAUSE THIS ISN'T REAL and so on". This song is pop genius, and the guitar is brilliant, and if I never, ever, ever, ever hear it again?
Oh, I'm okay with that. I'm really, really okay.
.
1. Parquet Courts "Stoned and Starving"
If I had kids whom I had taught guitar come to me and say, "Mr. Loschi, look at we just did!" and show me this video, I would just go ahead and die. Great version of a fanastic, inspiring, youthful, anthemic, ode to weekday afternoons of nothingness in the outer bouroughs. Sigh. I miss that stuff. This is AWESOME. There is no end to what you can weasel out of this glorious instrument. Rock on and happy New Year!!!! May it be it filled with open chords and impromptu jam sessions.
So where y'all want to move next?
-
I do love teaching overseas. But I would like to share a few stats about
our job search this year for all of those people (numerous people- don't
feel bad!...
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment